Wednesday 27 March 2013

Lord of the Flies Sketches





Above are my sketches for starting to work on the book covers for The Lord of the Flies by William Golding.

I am creating book jackets for children aged between 9 and 12 years old and for teenage boys, approx. 13-17 year olds.

Both of my ideas are based around a pig's head, because on the island they hunt the pigs, and the dead pig's head they put on a stick becomes 'The Lord of the Flies' in the book. I feel this is important to show on both covers because it is the hardest part of the story to understand and might be difficult for the age groups, especially 9-12 year olds to interpret themselves. I think it will also attract them to the cover because it is not only showing the genre of adventure but horror (which also relates to the story).

Here are my preliminary sketches to begin to understand which materials/angles look most intriguing.



No comments:

Post a Comment